Given that I like the image of some of my incontinence kit on a plate and tray because it not only worked graphically but raised questions about what the viewer was seeing and understanding, I decided to try continue creating some images in the same vein.
I made a list of things that I would try:
- Loo seat as pillow
- Wardrobe – Leg bag as a tie hung up as tie in cupboard rack
- Front room – Items as flowers in flower vase on mantelpiece in front room
- Envelope with 3 INR tabs instead of stamps (use Camberwell’s address with a surrealist reference)
- Aerosol and spanner in ks makeup
- Washing machine – paper sheets, creams and gels in washing machine
- Bathroom – pump and wheel
- Kitchen – alcohol bottle, pump and shoe horn with tea set
- Dining room – ironing board and inner tubes
Here is a selection of shots taken
Some clearly worked better than others in terms of gestalt but I am not sure any work on their own or as a group as I am not sure they evoke a sense of disconnection, displacement or oddity. However the process and outcome has been interesting. The question is why don’t some work? I am not sure I can answer this yet and need to think about what I am trying to achieve some more.
All the images were given similar production values, contemporary colour slightly enhanced to make the real even more real. But as this is a first attempt I haven’t worried about the technical issues yet – just ideas – so some images have blown and clipped areas.