Completing multiple drafts of my book along with the reading suggests to me that I am not going to get much further now without seeing the book in its physical form – eg things like paper quality etc. So following the detailed changes I made over the weekend and have listed below the book has been sent for printing using Blurb. Here is a pdf of the book.
Firstly, and even though my aim is to have my images speak without adding lots of notation, I have recognised that I do need to add some introductory words and so have done so on the front page.
Secondly I have introduced me – or my online version on me – by use of an image on the front page. Again this is all about trying to orientate the viewer to the images they will see and as this is a personal voice it seems sensible to offer them this view.
Thirdly I have made a change to the table of contents. I feel it’s okay up to My Community as each heading steps outward in terms of subject matter slightly from the previous one. This stops after My Community though as I am trying to moving people into responses, interpretations and feelings but don’t feel I have quite got that approach right yet.
The selection of images has also changed. This is particularly so in the My Country section and I have also introduced some imagery under a new section entitled My Feelings and dropped the Our Evolution setting as that doesn’t really speak personally.
Lastly I have added a personalised wheelchair symbol and my email address at the end page this inviting people to connect.
Even though I have now sent the book for printing I do not expect this to be the end. Rather it’s the beginning of the next phase as I fully expect the book I receive to need all sorts of adjustments (light, colour, contrast, tone etc), but I feel I have reached an important milestone.