I’ve been working on a project that is aimed at speaking about the time when things are redundant and used up. Maybe this is because I am on the last lap of the MA – who knows.  I liked the idea because it speaks to both equipment and also disabled people. Some view disabled people as redundant and useless just as much as a broken car maybe useless.

So I collected different pieces of used kit and then began experimenting. The first thing I realised was that unless the viewer understood what the kit was they might not recognise it as used up. I thought about this and decided to indicate this by making the stuff visibly damaged/used.

I got a blow torch (not a clever thing to use when you are paralysed and can’t feel if you are burning parts of your legs) and a tin and began melting items together. Then I shot some images of the kit while compressed in the tin.



The resulting images were okay (ish) but this was meant to be a physical project rather than one where the end product was a photo and so I then took the items out of the tin and left them for a while. The results wasn’t great as you can see here with the kit shot against a simple black background.

While I like some of the images I am unsure about the actual physical objects created. I am uneasy about them and the only reason I can think of is that they have not involved much craft. The images on the other hand have required craft. That is, I have had to think about framing, lighting, emphasis etc. but this is less so for the physical artefact. That is rubbish.

About Pete

South Londoner struggling with life, art and photography.
This entry was posted in Project 20: Physical and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s