I’ve been doing a lot of clearing out rubbish this weekend. My brother and his wife took 11 bin bags of dad’s consumables down the dump and I have sorted numerous papers into different piles for various purposes. So it was almost natural to continue in that mode when at home and thinking about this MA.
There is only three weeks to the formal assessment deadline and I have a very clear idea of my exhibition strategy with much of the work completed and ready. So yesterday I took some time to go though my materials with a view to clearing rubbish out and I came across a digital photo of an image I had created when experimenting with ideas of what to show and how to present it. The image was only 18cm by 18cm and as soon as I saw it I knew I could use it to contribute to the exhibition not my strategy of populating around the whole venue has been developed and agreed.
My intension here was to express something of the way I am felling just now. With the MA coming to an end, and all that has been going on with dad I have been feeling a strong sense of ending/change and wanted to express this. So I took the image screwed it up hard and scratched it. I then took a slighter larger chunk of rough cardboard and painted it completely black. I then mounted the image onto the cardboard, so now it measures 20cm x 20cm.
I found both the process of using supposedly redundant materials very satisfying and am pleased with the result.
It’s funny: the summer that I began the MA mum died and now dad’s gone too. A new era beckons.